16 September 2006

Of Honour and Glory

I watched Troy again on HBO today. This time watching it, I actually really understand it. And it's actually quite sad. I cried a tear or two, and since I've practically never cried for a movie, this is saying something. I'm quite amazed how when I was younger, and I heard the story of Troy being brought down by complacency and the Trojan horse, I thought the Trojans were the bad guys. In the movie though, the Greek are the selfish, foolish ones, the bad guys. Although movies are famous for turning around people's believes like this, I'm not sure really what to believe. But I have to accept what's been shown in the movie too. Seriously, Achilles isn't a really bad guy. He just have a thirst for glory and fame where his name won't be forgotten for thousands of years to come, which he is brought up with. And like most really powerful and famous men, he is tamed by a girl. Just a girl and this second time I watched the movie, I realized, he didn't enter Troy to fight, exactly. He did that to find that girl, Briseis. The one who gave him "peace at a time of war." The fact that he knew he will die when he enters Troy again touched my heart too, although when he knew this, his intentions of entering Troy was very different. He still died and got his glory, but something that he already learned as not that important as building realtionships with other men. Well, maybe the movie exaggerates this part, but well, it's a good exaggeration.

This Achilles is super great too, killing Prince Hector, a man rumoured to be as powerful as the whole of the Greek army. It touched my heart when he teared up right before he gave away Prince Hector's body to the King Priam. Then he entered the walls of Troy in the Trojan horse, telling he's army of Myrmidon to go home, saying it's his last order for them. He really knew he was going to die. But he still went, to save Briseis. Not for war. I just feel very touched by this movie. Achilles really was a hero. And Brad Pitt did good too. ;)


In the end, I think it is one of the best movie I have ever seen.

No comments: