08 October 2009

When I'm Back On My Feet Again

I feel like I just won $200 or something.

I guess that's how it is with opportunity costs. I no longer have to spend the $200 dollars, which was my initial obligation. So it feels like I have an extra $200 out of nowhere. Happy happy. Hehe.

Last night I had one of the best sleep in a long time. Sandrine stayed over, and we both slept way way past our wake up time!

So, today I decided to be a little bit more of a nerd and study something. No, nothing related to accounting, unfortunately. More in the line of Biology. Genetics, to be specific. The topic in particular is evolution, or to be a lot more specific, speciation.

I found out two things:

1. My initial theory that evolution occurs pretty fast, is right. Flies could divide into two completely different species in as little as 8 generations. And as flies only have a life span of what, a day, that is a short time.

2. I learned this thing called punctuated equilibrium, officially introduced in a research paper produced in 1972, and I think, it so makes sense! Before this, they argued, if evolution really does exist, why then doesn't the 'in-betweens' of humans and monkeys exist? Well, it seems punctuated equilibrium explains it.

Can you imagine, though, that actually, some of the discoveries of new species, could possibly be really actually really new species that just appeared, say, 5 years ago. Wow. Interesting huh?

Punctuated equilibrium is the term used to show that most animals and plants stay the same for a long time, and will only evolve when pressure is present, and that it will take only a short time to evolve and then when it adapts, remain as the next species for a long time until the next evolution. So evolution does not happen gradually, as previously assumed. There is very little time between the change from one species to the next, but the species then remain the same for a long time, as long as it suits their niche perfectly.

Plenty interesting stuff, I would say. And the fact these studies are relatively new. I love new information like this. It feeds my brain more than all those accounting crap I've been stuffing my head with.

So. Tomorrow is ADND 2009. Dee-zahz-tergh as HappySlip's* dad would say.

I don't know why, but ADND marketing this year is so bad, that no one actually knows when it is, even. And they say, my department is not doing their job. I mean, seriously, no one has even seen the ADND logo. This is just so wrong. Everything is so... haywired, for want of a better word.




What's going on with me, though? Well, I'm putting my love life on hold. Despite men appearing again, around me. Maybe I need time, or maybe I'm just not interested... Hehehe... Nah, seriously, it is really on hold for the time being. A bit of time to get me back on my feet. But seeing as how slow time is going for me right now, one day would feel like a week, I wouldn't expect it to be too long of a wait. Alright, not a relationship per say, maybe just a rebound.

And this time I would want a REALtionship. Not those fake ones.

Soon these tears will all be dryin'
Soon these eyes will see the sun
Won't be long, won't be long
Till I see it
When I'm back on my feet again



LoVe~
MzP<3

*HappySlip is a username on Youtube, by Christine Gambito who does comedic videos, which I am truly addicted to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always good to see someone with an interest in evolution. =)

In any case, the theory of "missing link", as you say, the in-between between humans and monkeys is false, quoted only by creationists.

There is no missing link because humans DO NOT evolve from monkeys. It's a wrong understanding of evolution.

Instead, humans and monkeys actually share a common ancestor, which is neither human nor monkey.

In fact, just last week, they have found the fossils of the oldest human ancestor, named Ardi: http://bit.ly/4mq6ak It is the oldest yet, from around 4.4 million years ago. This adds one more evidence to support evolution.

Thanks for mentioning "punctuated equilibrium". I should read more about that.

Do keep on reading. Listening to someone else's fascination always delights me. Take care.

MzPinK13 said...

Well, yea, I was thinking about my post abit today, and I did realise that I made a mistake about the monkeys and humans thing. I was just trying to put the message across, so i gave the nearest example that came to mind.

But yes, punctuated equilibrium is so interesting!


LoVe~
MzP<3

hawayou said...

I like! not many people truly get the concept of evolution especially Msians, which is a shame because the impact it does to everything.

daily life, medicine, faith, etc.

hee. i watch happy slip too.

tapi more addicted to kevjumba n communitychanel. hehe.