05 April 2009

This I Promise You

There is this one magic trick I've seen a few times before. A magic trick where there is one performer. Then there is one, say, victim. Then there might be spectators, there might not. The trick goes like this: The performer takes an item, an ordinary item. He puts it in one of his hands, the 'victim' standing in front of him. He then moves his hands really fast, and while he does this, if there are spectators, they'll see him clearly toss it out of his hands. But the 'victim' won't catch it because he's just standing too close. So when it's done, the 'victim' would have to pick which hand the item is in. He picks one hand, it's not there. He picks the other, it's not there either. Then, for a split second, he's amazed, only to be laughed at by all the spectators.

The thing is, in some points, life is a bit like that. When you stand so close, and something goes wrong, eventhough it's so damn clear to everyone else, you just can't see it. Can't at all. And you wouldn't believe it when someone else tried to tell you. After all, you're the only one who's the closest to it, so how the hell would you miss it?

See, it can happen. It happens so many times. When politicians make huge mistakes with the rest of the country staring, knowing it's very wrong. When teachers teach the wrong thing in class and won't believe when another student say it's wrong. When each and everyone of us makes a decision that we're so sure of the circumstances, but everything just turns out totally different.

Sure, it happens to all of us. We're all 'victims' at one point or another. It's just how bad will the damage be when we find out? When we step back and take a look at the whole picture?

But that's not what bothers me so much.

What really bothers me, is what if you're a spectator? What if you're looking from afar at this person who's about to make a really big mistake? And you know very very well how it's going to turn out - really disastrous. What do you do then? Assuming you love them. Assuming you care.

Do you let them make the mistake? We're talking a mistake so big, it'll cripple them. A mistake so big it'll damage them, fuck them up for the rest of their existence.

Fine, if we have the sense, we would try. We'd try to make them see. Get them to step back. Make them see the whole picture.

But what if they just simply refuse? Refuse to see it? Refuse to step back? Refuse to see it the way you do?

Do you still try? Or do you step back and let them do it? And if you do the second thing, would it mean that you gave up? Gave up on someone you love? Or would it mean that you're just letting them learn? And could you have done more? One day when the 'victim' looks back, would he/she blame you for not trying harder to make him/her see?

Once again, we're talking a really really big mistake, one that would change all circumstances. One he would lie on his death bed 50 years from now and wish he hadn't done.

I'll tell you what I would do. I wouldn't stop. I'd stick by till the end. The very end. I'll sacrifice everything just so that he could be happy in years to come. I would do it. Watch me. And once the time comes when it's too much for me, I'll go. Just go in way that I'll never come back. But untill then, I promise to do my best. To give my all. Even if it destroys me in the process. I want to do it. I'd want to not just say I tried, but that I've given everything I could. Is it worth it though? I don't know. You tell me.

Because, I know it seems like I'm turning into the 'victim' here this time. But watch me do it. Just watch.

I'll do it until it ends for me. Because I know in the long run, I won't regret it.


LoVe~
MzP<3>

No comments: