15 August 2008

Academic Blues

I've joined the gym! I know, whoa right? It's been 3 days now, and I went for the first two days. Didn't go today: overslept. And I was fasting anyway, can't imagine running 2km without a sip of water. Definitely planning to go tomorrow. Wanna join? I so want to do Pilates. Right before the MSA BBQ. We've got to make the BBQ guilt-free right? Hehe.

So far, Sydney has been good and bad. Good: Made more new friends. Got closer to existing ones. Bad: Ida and Yaya went back. Spent so much $.

So far, I've spend AUD300 on text books only. Seriously. And I haven't bought all yet. Since when is the price of education so high?

It was just the other day I was in Economics class when my really smart lecturer taught opportunity cost. The opportunity cost of an international student attending one hour of class is at least AUD40. 40 freaking dollars for an hour! We all lose that much for an hour of education, but tell me of a job that pays that much after we all graduate. I mean, convert that to RM. That would be RM120, give or take. Tell me of a job in Malaysia, my beloved country, that pays that much an hour for someone who only has a degree. Tell me of a job that pays that much a day. And yet, what kind of fools are we to pay that much for an education. Why is the demand for education so high that it pushes the price to be so high? The opportunity cost of it is too high. And yet, the price of education is rising still. At what price would we actually realise that the opportunity cost of an education is too high to even be worth it anymore? When would we realise that we could take all of that money spent and make use of it for so much better things?

But the world is weird like that. I read that Japan, at one point, had 4 million tonnes of rice in storage. 4 million tonnes. And it's costing them Y60 billion a year for the price of storage. All this just to set minimum price of rice in Japan (which was 5 times the world price). And yet, there are still hundreds of millions of starving people in the world. Hello? Why are we doing things like that? Rather than store the rice, why not donate it to the UN World Food Program? And the Y60 billion, if put in banks, could earn interests that could support millions of hungry children indefinitely. Yes, we're talking INDEFINITELY.

I still can't believe some people can't see the consequences to actions like this. Well, maybe then, I could see the significance of education. So that we don't make these kinds of mistakes. But then again, how do we go around still making a mistake that costs billions after having an education that costs us 40 dollars an hour. So is education all it's caught up to be?

Am I talking crap?

But you've got to agree: At a personal cost of 40 dollars an hour, we should better be able to change the world. Or at least, ourselves, so that we don't do these to the world.

OK, rant over.

On a lighter note, I have a crush! Yay me for getting over that stupid idiot excuse of a man. He makes men all around look bad just because he is one of them. These are the men who taints the names of men everywhere. Well, we all learn from mistakes, don't we. Which for me is that the opportunity cost of being with him is too great. He just turned elastic. Good for me.


LoVe~
MzP<3 style="color: rgb(255, 153, 255);">P.S. Sorry for the economics terms. I'm just very interested in it right now. Though not for long if I can't find the freaking text book!

No comments: