08 March 2008

The Land of OZ

Guess where I am right now. In Christine's house in the middle of the city. I came to the city at, like, 11.30 in the morning for the Maroubra Beach BBQ. Got stuck here because some people wants me to join them clubbing. I guess now I'll be going out in a few minutes. So maybe I'll try to update.

Australia turns out not to be so bad once the culture shock stops. Made some friends. Met some old ones. But that transtiton took a million events to get my mind off home, and remind myself that home's probably quite overrated anyway. That sounds easier than it seems though. So yeah. Here I am now, trying not to be homesick.

Since I've been here I've been to heaps of BBQs and a few city outings, including a Mardi Gras parade. The Mardi Gras was quite cool. I mean, there were lots of gay people. More than I've ever seen in my life. Even 5 hours before the parade starts, I see gay people everywhere I turn. Sorry for being quite 'jakun' but it's quite new to me. There are gays in Malaysia, but they're still quite in the closet. Then, 1 hour before the event starts, there were gay people going up and down the street half naked. That was.... interesting. There was even one eccentric in-a-purple-thong guy going up and down the street saying 'Happy Mardi Gras, darlin' to everyone.

The parade itself was incredibly interesting, with men and women in underwears and thongs dancing around while walking and on those moving parade thingies (what were thay called again?). There are instances where men cuts off sections of their pants or underwear to show their butts. And topless women with their partners. The whole thing is quite interesting and (surprise, surprise) informative. I mean, now I know there are whole organizations dedicated to gay counselling and gay laws and even police officers give a special mention of protecting gays and crimes towards them. Wow. They really do widely accpet it here.

You know what? I realised lately that I'm in The Land of OZ. I mean, Maybe I should just click my heel 3 times and say, "There's no place like home,
there's no place like home, there's no place like home...."Nah, not working. Well, I guess I'm stuck here.

So, I'm off to go out now. I actually bought an LBD for this evening since the only thing I brought re beach wear. Actually, my friend bought it for me. Sounds nice, but it's actually just from Supre, so yea, it's like, below 20 bucks or something.

I'll try to update more often once I get my laptop ok?

Muah. Mwah. Muax.


LoVe~
MzP<3

No comments: